Session 4 2024 Production Project

SUMMARY

Role

Enemy Designer

Intention (SMART Goal) for the Session

By March 1, as part of TEAM 6 as Enemy Designer, I will have evidence of a cast of enemies that interact with each other and the player by following Characteristics of Good Enemy Design for Session 4.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Ed Gorinstein is the enemy designer for Hades. He was able to create enemies and bosses that scaled with the difficulty of the game. By slowly introducing new attacks and enemy types, he was able to slowly expand the replayability and enjoyment of the game.

Primary Source

Hades

Secondary Source

Training Source(s)

Project Timeline

Pre-production Milestones

• Plan out enemy designs
  • Create sprite work for boss
  • Plan out the progression system

Production Milestones

• Create new enemies
  • Make a shop and exp system
  • Add in sprites

Post-production

• Finish Edublogs
  • Make Slideshow
  • Polish game

Proposed Budget

A budget will be completed during Session 5, 2024

Evidence of Team Planning and Decisions

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

https://funny-man-bryce.itch.io/arlos-game

Skills Commentary

I created several enemies. A lava golem, a pyromancer, and a final boss. This demonstrated my smart goal, since all of the enemies played off of each other in unique ways.

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

I came up with ideas for several enemies to implement into the game. Additionally, after I made all of these enemies, I created a wave system that utilized the enemies I created to spawn them in certain intervals and places. I also fixed several bugs that our group was struggling with during development. One major issue was that the weapons could not hit multiple enemies, making the combat feel stale. I solved this by going through every option that could be causing the multihit to not work until I was able to remove the specific line of code that was causing it.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I talked to my team whenever we needed new artwork to make sure that we had the art we needed for our game. When I worked from home, I also scheduled calls to work with team members on the game, allowing us to develop several features together.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I followed Brackey’s tutorial in order to make the audio manager system, allowing us to quickly and easily add audio into our game. I also took heavy inspiration from Binding of Issac to design the enemies to be very unique when compared to each other.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

I did a lot of work at home to make sure that we would finish our game on time. Even when I was sick, I made sure to put in the necessary time into the game to implement all of the features we wanted.

Reactions to the Final Version

“The game would do well at the game competition. I would like to see a copy of the game. Also have the camera not drift off into the void and constrain it to the main arena.” -Jim

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I think our game turned out incredibly good. This is one of the first sessions where we actually made a complete and playable game, and I’m very impressed with the quality of the game. There are a few minor bugs, but they don’t detract too much from the experience.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Leo