Session 5 Blog Post

SUMMARY

Role

Level Designer

Intention (SMART Goal)

By May 10, as Level Artist/World Builder, I will have evidence of finishing the second map outline in Unity by following this tutorial

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Madeline Thorson is the level designer for Celeste, a game with a heavy emphasis on precise platforming, that has masterfully designed levels to go along with it.

https://chargedshot.com/games/2018/11/16/celeste-interview

Training Source(s)

1. The shape tool allows you to create shapes (2:26)
  2. You can see the shortcut for icons by hovering over them (2:45)
  3. The sub-menu allows you to freely customize a shape, and see what it will look like (2:59)
  4. The edit mode bar has four areas: object, vertex, edge, and face selection mode (3:57)
  5. You can set the 3d manipulator orientation to global, local, and normal (4:10)
  6. The face selection tool allows you to expand or shrink a specific part of an object (4:44)
  7. Extrude faces will make the part of an object expand by 0.5 (4:54)
  8. W is transform, I is rotate, and R is scale. (5:24)
  9. You can create a face inside of an object’s face (5:34)
  10. Alt+u creates edge loops (5:47)

Project Timeline

1. Follow tutorials to learn how to better use Probuilder
  2. Complete the second map’s layout by using Probuilder
  3. Get assets from the Unity asset store
  4. Give the map textures for the objects.
  5. Playtest the map.
  6. Edit it until it’s fully complete.

Evidence of Team Planning and Decisions

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7He9Lt5is-k6p_z6awE9-OI27Pmys1Elump9pGWUrY/edit

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

We couldn’t upload the game to Itch.io, since the multiplayer that we developed for the game ended up being incompatible with webGL, which we needed to use to upload the game to Itch.io

Skills Commentary

I finished adding objects to the second map, and I changed the gun’s stats, such as damage and fire rate, to make them more balanced. I also put textures on objects in the second map to make it look better.

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

The lights that I had set up throughout the map weren’t functioning properly. The entire map appeared dark, despite the editor scene making it look like a normal light level. To solve this, I made invisible lights that pointed in every single direction. This effectively simulated the rooms being lit up to a normal amount.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

To help figure out what changes I needed to make to the gun’s stats, we did several playtests of the game. This made us realize several ways in which the guns were unbalanced.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I used assets from the Unity asset store to make the map look textured. To build the layout of the map itself, I used a Unity extension called pro builder.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

We used Hunter’s feedback to add a sensitivity changer to the menu. This made the game much less frustrating, since you can cater your sensitivity to your liking

Reactions to the Final Version

When we showed the game to Hunter, he said that it looked impressive, and gave us a few suggestions. He suggested making the pause menu between rounds more clear and adding a sensitivity changer.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I think that the game turned out well, as it is fully playable, has two maps, and relatively balanced weapons. The only thing that is upsetting is that we couldn’t get it uploaded to Itch.io. Because of this, people aren’t going to be able to really playtest the game, which is very upsetting.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor